Design & Technology
Throughout Foundation Stage, in Design & Technology (DT), the children will:
Think of their own ideas and begin to create designs.
Make simple products and will have experienced work with a range of materials.
Say what they like about what they have made.
Start to understand about healthy foods and food hygiene.
Be willing to take risks and try things out.
By the end of EYFS a child who is attaining typically will be able to:
Start to create and draw designs and say what they are intending to make.
Select and use a range of hand tools e.g. scissors, hole punch, with increasing confidence and accuracy.
Select suitable materials for the desired job. Children will have experimented with different materials and be able to say why they have made their choices.
Explore and use construction toys.
Explain why we must have clean hands and surfaces when working with food and be able to identify some healthy foods.
Children will be able to say what they like about what they have made and start to think about how it could be improved.
Key Stage One
Over Key Stage One (KS1), in Design & Technology (DT), the children will:
- Research products and create their own designs.
- Make products of their own, based on their designs
- Evaluate work constructively
- Apply the importance of a healthy, balanced diet through food preparation and cooking.
- Be resourceful, responsible and enterprising, not scared to take risks and try things out.
KS1 Design & Technology Goals
By the end of KS1 a child who is attaining typically will be able to:
- Produce designs that meet specifications and criteria. Children will be able to talk about these design ideas and develop them using drawings, prototypes, models and computer software.
- Select and use a range of tools and equipment with increasing accuracy. The children will be able to name these tools and use them for cutting, shaping, joining and finishing.
- Choose from a range of materials and components to make products, including building materials, textiles and ingredients. Children will be able to decide which materials are most suitable for the task that they need to perform.
- Explore and use moving parts and mechanisms such as wheels, axles, levers and sliders.
- Hygienically prepare and serve some healthy dishes and know about a balanced diet.
- Evaluate existing products and those that they have created against design specifications. Children will be able to say what they like/don’t like and suggest improvements.
By the end of KS1 a child attaining typically will be able to understand and use the following vocabulary:
products – labels – tools – design – evaluate – materials – mechanism – balanced diet – nuitritious