We all know how much the journey to school has changed since we were at school ourselves – more traffic, less social contact with others, more pressure of time. Through working together to raise the awareness of the positive benefits of more active and sustainable travel choices, such as walking, cycling or using public transport, we can bring about attitude and behaviour changes and encourage positive lifestyle choices amongst pupils, parents and school staff.
By having a Travel Plan we will raise awareness to encourage more active and sustainable travel choices; setting out individual practical measures and initiatives for reducing the number of car trips made to school, and for improving safety on the journey.
The Action Plan outlines what will be achieved, including targets with dates and people assigned to each action. For example:
- Walk to School Week/Month
- Bike Week
- Park and Stride – where parents park away from the school gate and walk a short 5 minute journey to school from Stocksbridge Leisure Centre
- Bikeability cycle training
- Road safety education and resources/maps showing safe routes to schools
- Improving public transport information and facilities
Please see the attached plan:
Travel and Action Plan 2017-18
Here is our Active Travel Policy:
Active Travel Policy – SNI